Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pizza Soup!

Because if I didn't post it now, it would end up being months later and I would feel very badly.

You will need:

1 carrot, chopped
1/4 bell pepper, chopped (a rare luxury, but if you have one handy, go for it!)
1 stalk of celery, chopped (or 'stick.'  I don't know.  A couple weeks ago, Ben told me that a 'stalk' means the whole bunch...so one of those long green things, and not the whole bunch.)
1 largish tomato, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4-ish cup pepperoni, cut into quarters
3-4 cups chicken broth
1/2 chicken breast, cooked & cubed
1-2 Tbsp butter
1-2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
garlic
marjoram
oregano
macaroni or other noodles
parmesan cheese
mozzarella cheese

So...

Combine all of your chopped vegetables, pepperoni and chicken in a pot with chicken broth and put over medium heat on the stove.  Let it cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the carrots and celery are appropriately soft (there's little that bugs me more than my carrots and/or celery being only halfway done, but some people don't mind it).

Meanwhile: melt butter and whisk in flour and then milk to make a rue.  The measurements I listed above aren't exact because I'm not very good at taking measurements first...sorry...  You don't want it to be too thick, like clam chowder or something.  Just enough to make the soup a little bit creamy.  Add this to the vegetables, broth & meat, stirring to incorporate it.

Season the soup with garlic, marjoram, oregano and black pepper.  Once again, I didn't pay attention to how much I used, but don't overdo it.  The pepperoni adds a lot of flavor.

Add your noodles about ten minutes before serving.  This will make the soup kind of thick, so add more broth if you need to.

Add the cheeses just before serving - a generous pinch of mozzarella and a sprinkle of parmesan.


We love this one, hope you do too.


No comments:

Post a Comment