Thursday, October 31, 2013

Embracing the Familiar, as Far Away becomes Home

This morning, I am enjoying the aftermath of the first snowfall in our new home.  Yesterday, I enjoyed the storm from our kitchen floor, with my daughter craning her neck in wonder, trying to figure out what was making that plinking sound on our stove-pipe.

Today, I stepped outside to toss a diaper, and found that a silvery rime covered everything, from my front porch to the sloping ranch-land across the railroad tracks, and far beyond, drip-dripping into a warm, muddy morning.  Despite our rather sudden move, from the rocky mountains to this high desert, winter still knows where we are.  What's more is the strange realization - one that should have been obvious - that snow found this place long before we ever did.  It's odd, but somehow that warms my heart.

My mom, husband, and others can attest to the fact that I've spent many a precious minute whining about the lack of trees, the lack of mountains, and the lack of just about everything to which I'm accustomed, in this landscape.  But I think I'm ready to take all of that back.

Right now, I love it here.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Not only did you get snow, but you got it before us! Have a happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Halloween and happy trick-or-treating to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to comment on this post and/or the one before, but when I read them a few days ago I was wrestling a little monkey in my arms and didn't get a chance. ;) Anyway, they both were beautiful and so utterly made my morning when I read them. Thanks for sharing! Having done the "move far away from everyone I know to a strange and unfamiliar place" thing, I have total sympathy for you right now! Although it's sort of ironic to me that the trees and landscape you're missing is Utah - my own foreign land. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. And to further the irony, I have to admit that I've always had a hankering to live back east in Kentucky or Carolina someday. :) I'm glad that I'm finally learning that happiness doesn't depend on where I am, though.

      Delete
    2. That I can completely understand. ;) It breaks my heart that Mahon and I will probably never live in NC now that my parents have moved to Oregon. We actually tried for several years to move back east but it was one of those "not meant to be" things - now I can understand that a lot better, since my parents are westerners now too! But it still makes me so sad.

      Delete