Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Near Miss

There's a bag of pumpkin spice kisses that has been in our cupboard for about two weeks now.  When it first appeared, among a few other lovingly packed items in a Happy Halloween package from my mom, I determined (after squealing for joy) that I would not open it before Halloween night, knowing that if I did, the treat would almost immediately disappear and we would have nothing festive with which to celebrate the holiday.

A few mornings ago, after lazing about far more than is good, even on a Saturday, I went for it.  I've learned that junk food and I don't get along well in the mornings.  If I indulge too early in the day, I tend to feel icky for the rest of it and am more likely to make poor choices (nutritionally speaking) later on - so I was breaking two rules when I padded, still pajama-clad, into the kitchen, in search of naughtiness.

I found the bag on the top shelf, behind the vitamin bottles, and lifted it out.  With determination, I took hold of the plastic wrapper from either side of the seam and pulled.  It didn't come apart.  Through my mind fluttered the thought, 'you haven't opened it yet.  You haven't made the choice yet.  It's not too late to turn back.'

Glimpsing the diagram on the bag, of the orange exterior chocolate and creamy, pumpkin-spicy interior, I thought, 'I'm deciding now.  It's too late.'  I took the bag in my fists and squeezed.  Desperate little snatches of 'Too late - not too late' darted back and forth in my mind.

The bag did not pop.  I considered it for a moment, said, "hmm..." and then tossed it back onto the top shelf.

Here's to one of those little victories.

5 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha!!! This post so totally just made my morning. Gotta love when life looks out for you like that. ;) (Says the woman who has eaten nothing for the last several hours but half a loaf of chocolate chip pumpkin bread...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was always so lucky. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who does that (eating much too much pumpkin bread, I mean).

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. (This will be the third time I've tried to say that, sorry if it shows up three times!)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete