Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Running from Goals

In the hectic transitions, from Christmas season craziness to vacationing at home with our families, to jumping back into real day-to-day life here, I've hardly had time to recognize that I'm letting yet another annual tradition slide.  Ever since realizing that I haven't taken time to set my resolutions for 2014, I've been avoiding it, guiltily discarding that thought whenever it comes to me, like those reminder cards I get from the dentist.  I don't like having that gritty, over-sweetened polish in my mouth and as for my goals...well, I don't want to set them until I'm ready.

No worries, though.  I will set some worthy resolutions, just like I will go to the dentist.  I'm just not ready to do the former yet.  The problem is that, in all the busyness of the past month and a half, I haven't taken the time that I know I owe myself, to examine where I am, how I am doing, and where I would like to be.  For many years, I've known that I'm a poor goal-doer, particularly when it comes to my January resolutions.  Something about seeing them written down in front of me, even when broken down into daily, weekly, and monthly tasks, is intimidating.

I want this year to be different, though, which is why I've been putting the whole process off.  So, for now, my goal is...to set goals.  Lame?  Maybe, but on the other hand, I've got the entire world wide web to hold me accountable for it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment