Monday, December 16, 2013

Blah, Blah, Blog

Some days, I ask myself, 'What exactly is a blog?  And what on earth should I write on it?'

Sometimes, I answer that a blog - this blog, at least - is my forum for using big words.

I've heard a lot of people mention, lately, how blogs and social media are often used to post our best selves online, and I think, 'Oh, is that what I was supposed to be doing?'  Because it seems like most my posts go something like this: 'wow, today was crazy/hard/non-productive...but that's OK.  I'm happy anyway.'

Other times, I'm convinced that a blog is really just a public, online scrapbook, so that I can post pictures for my friends and family to see how cute my baby is.  But as far as that goes, I've discovered that I am definitely not a photographer.  Maybe someday, but not today.

If lots of people read my blog consistently and I were a really, really, really good cook, I could post a new, fantastic recipe every day.  For awhile, cooking blogs composed the majority of my recreational reading.  Nevertheless, I'm not cut out for that either.

I could post about my opinions, because I'm very opinionated, but I'm not always up for the incendiary comments that follow those types of posts.  I could post about the books I read, but I am a notoriously slow reader.

Sometimes, my head is full to bursting with things that I want to write and post...but sometimes, it just comes out like this.  None of the above.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Ha - I am pretty sure I've had every single one of these thoughts. ;) But I still treasure my blog so much, especially when I go back and read old posts. It's like a fantastic snapshot of my life - both what I was doing and what I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mostly find that it's a Monday thing. Once I get going during the week, the writing perpetuates itself. I'm so impressed with just how far back your blog goes. I took a few minutes to take a glance at your earlier posts and wow! What a treasure!

      Delete