Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Wild Running

When I was in college, I was crazy about running.  I was never a very good athlete, certainly never good enough to participate on a college team, but it was my escape and I loved it.  As my schedule became more demanding, I began to wake up at 5:00 or 5:30 in the morning to get my daily exercise, winter or summer, rain or snow or clear sky.  I found that there was something oddly enchanting about the silent, frosty mornings that I met between November and March.

It's been years since I had that routine.  I'm discovering that one of the most puzzling challenges raising a very young child is finding a way to exercise in the winter.  Fed up with the handful of cheesy televised workouts through which I usually rotate, I decided, this morning, to attempt to recover the daily ritual that was so dear to me a few years ago.

I have to admit that I'm not in the shape I once was.  My legs aren't accustomed to carrying me the way they did before and when I was doing this sort of thing every morning, my lungs didn't mind it.  Now the jolt of the cold alongside the increased demands of my muscles awakens the usually-dormant exercise-induced asthma, limiting how far I can push myself.

Nevertheless, as I pushed myself around and around the track - a far cry from the mountain trails and twisting streets I used to chase - covered from head to ankles to reddened knuckles with layers of fabric, the enchantment returned.  I had the clear, cold stars all to myself and from my ear buds, music kept time with my steps.

I'm not saying that I recommend this routine.  I'm not entirely sure that I'll be willing to drive myself to do it again soon, but there is something unique about it, and beautiful.  There's some element of insanity and some feeling of power, even as I'm all but shivering between sweat and wintry cold.  And the music is...exquisite.  Running out there on my own reminded me of a passion for music that I had long since forgotten.  The cold, the dark, the solitude, the movement or the wildness - or maybe a combination of all of them - gives the music a whole new dimension.
   

2 comments:

  1. I have always jogged outside in the winter time, but for some reason I am having a hard time getting myself out in the cold this year. I was thinking the other day about how you have mentioned that you run in the snow and I got to thinking how it would be fun if we lived close enough to be running partners. Maybe some day... I'm glad you're getting yourself out there! I'll try to follow your good example. I'm getting really tired of my workout videos too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow it's comforting to think that I'm not the only one who does silly workouts in my living room all winter. Is that bad? Anyway, it WOULD be awesome if we could be running partners. I'm really rather sad that I have let that go. In the meanwhile, we could be a support group or something :). I'm really looking forward to snowshoeing or cross country skiing while we're in Utah. Maybe we can get together for some winter exercise.

      Delete