Thursday, December 5, 2013

Changing Seasons

Nativity pumpkin...hehe...

Halloween ran away from us before I could really, properly celebrate...so here I was, in early December, with the little pumpkin I'd gotten for carving still on my kitchen table.  And let's not forget the two-dollar cleaning and carving kit I'd splurged on.  That was still in the cabinet, where it had been waiting for two months.

So we carved our pumpkin, really only a month an a few days overdue.  Somehow, Halloween seems much longer ago than that and I'm not precisely sure why, but I think that time moves so much more quickly around this time of the year.  I can only base that hypothesis on something I've never confessed to anyone, except maybe my husband...maybe.

In my mind's eye, I see the months of the year like blocks in an oblong loop of sidewalk, moving clockwise.  From about mid-May to mid-September is one long, straight portion and the other goes from January through April, so there's not much of a corner at the spring-summer end of the loop, but on this end, it curves from September to the end of December.

I don't know what came first in my mind - the idea that this season is a bend in the calendar or the feeling of constant, rapid change, but they exist together in my head and have been that way for as long as I can remember.  So there you go, thought of the day.  Nothing profound, but it's a little insight into my own personal weirdness. :)

4 comments:

  1. I love the Christmas pumpkin! The year in my mind resembles something like a game board... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we do that? I usually don't even think about it. It's so automatic. :)

      Delete
  2. The Christmas Pumpkin is such a cute idea! Way to work in a late Halloween and the Christmas Spirit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was amazed at how not out of place it looked.

      Delete