Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Grateful-vember: Your Words

This one is specifically for my friends and family.  It is to any person who takes the time to leave a kind comment online and to people who approach one another as strangers, just to give a word of encouragement.  This post is to those who go out of their way to say something kind: I dare not say that you have no idea the effect of the words you write or speak, but you never cease to amaze me with your capacity for spreading happiness.

After much deliberation and many years of analyzing myself to death, I have come to the conclusion that I struggle with an inferiority complex.  Whenever there's a competition involved, I somehow feel sure that I have no chance of coming out on top.  Therefore, I am grateful that, when that ever-present, diabolical little voice pipes up in my thoughts with, "No, you can't," a dozen exterior voices always seem to chime in with "Yes, you can!"

I have a husband who has been nothing but supportive, especially in those times when support has been the thing that I needed most and deserved least.  I have a mom who has always made a big deal of my talents, abilities and interests.  I have so many friends who take time to point out positive attributes in me that I have never acknowledged in myself, or to say, in their own ways, "I love you."  I could go on, but then I would be here all day and then some.

So today, I thank my family, my friends and many treasured, transient acquaintances with whom I've lost contact, for the words you speak to uplift me and one another.  To them and to anyone I've never met who may be reading this, I thank you for the little acts of kindness that you do and for the inherent goodness within you.

No comments:

Post a Comment