Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Home and Homesickness

If I wake up early, sometimes I'll see horses wandering through my backyard.

It's one of the very unique charms of this place.  Free-range horses are not uncommon and we're constantly dodging piles of manure on the roads (I should mention that I rather like the smell of manure...in some strange way...  I'm not describing what I see to be a bad thing, in other words).

We spent this weekend with my in-laws who took the time to visit us, and took time to really explore the place where we live.  We finally ventured out to the scenic desert, and were pleasantly surprised.  Ben and I kept stopping to look at the sky.  We've seldom seen one so...big.  Deep.

The communities around here have also been celebrating Native American Heritage Month, so while we were exploring, we also had the chance to attend some cultural celebrations and demonstrations.  I find myself growing fond of the rich heritage that is tied to this land.  It's beautiful and I loved feeling saturated with it this weekend.

It's amazing to me, that I can so dearly love this new home and be so homesick at the same time (no one told me that it could ache like this either!).  I'm grateful to be here and to be learning.  And I'm grateful to have another home to welcome us as the holidays draw near.

5 comments:

  1. "Home" seems to be many places once you leave the home you grew up in, right? I feel like our new house became home very quickly, yet whenever I drive by our Springville house I cry, and Layton will always be home. Our hearts are always having to learn to stretch, aren't they? We miss you guys! Can't wait for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Are you familiar with the musical, "The Scarlet Pimpernel"? There's a great song from that. I think it's called "You are my Home." It's a goodie if you've never heard it. It makes me define home a little differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly enough, I'm not! I'm surprised Ben has never mentioned it. I'll look it up. Thanks for your comment. I love how you said that, about our hearts leaning to stretch. It makes me feel like I'll never have to stop calling Utah home. :)

      Delete
  3. I miss Utah all the time too! I love exploring new places, but especially around the holidays I always think of Bilbo saying, "I want to see mountains again, Gandalf."

    ReplyDelete